Friday 5 August 2011

Summer Holidays: Week 1: Part 3

On Thursday we went to meet a friend and her little boy at a railway park. It did not start well- Custard fell in a pond within 10 minutes of our arrival. Luckily the weather was unexpectedly lovely so he dried out fairly swiftly and Toot made us a cracking picnic. We sat in the sun and the kids climbed on the old engines:


What does he look like?!

Then we had a few goes on the Merry-go-round:


And a ride on each of the steam trains:


It was a lovely day out and just right for smallish kids.

I had made one mistake however: All the kids have grown, so I bought them all a pile of new clothes. New clothes and a day climbing on steam trains and eating lollies do not mix. Toot spent most of the evening Vanishing all their T-shirts. She's brill.

They messed around at bedtime again quite spectacularly. Shocker. Toot and I went out to Tescos to escape- Wooo!

*****

Since being back home my children have been even wilder, if it is possible. I feel like that old Fast Show character, "Can any of you actually hear me?" Frustrating.

We have been out and about meeting friends and running around the park, but the time does seem to be passing quite slowly. The house seems to be FULL of noise and movement, not to mention Stuff and Grot and the kids are all bad tempered because when we are at home there is nowhere to go and be Alone. They don't seem to be old enough to understand the beauty of going upstairs and closing your bedroom door.

And I guess it is the same for me. Our downstairs is pretty open plan, so wherever I am I can see or hear what they are up to, and frankly, even if I did shut my bedroom door someone would fling it open with a bang and a shriek within about ten seconds.

Anyway, it is good to be at home and have no list of stuff to do. (that's not true. There is a list. I'm ignoring it). No time constraints. To be at leisure.

I wish they would do it a bit more quietly, that's all.
x

No comments:

Post a Comment