Tuesday 21 September 2010

The search for The Golden Bowl

Today Custard has had a screaming fit in the playground (what's new?); Mouse has had a screaming fit all the way to school ('I want to go in the car! I want to go in the car! Me: Well, we're here now so that's a bit daft. Mouse: I hate everyone in this family. Well, except Daddy and FHB and Miss T);Miss T slapped my round the face and happily bit me, in the playground at school. I squeaked and tried not to swear; I have made bread with no yeast in it (Doh! [See what I did there?] I rekneaded it with the yeast and proved it again. Long-winded); I have filed my essay (Yay!!!!); and I lost my colander.

Me, holding boiling pan of peas; Where's my colander?

Custard: What's that?

Me: Silver bowl, holes in it. It had grapes in earlier now I come to think of it. Actually, where are the grapes? Ow, this is hot. I could really do with the colander.

Custard and Mouse, in unison, with actions: Miss T did it.

Me, irate: Did. What. With. It?

Mouse: Well, it might be in the garden...

I completely lose my temper. I have been shouted at, kicked in the face, bitten, pinched and slapped. Everyone at school thinks I am a horrific parent. I am exhausted. W is not home for another 6 hours. I want to drink wine. I storm off, shouting, to sulk in the lounge.

Custard, very quietly in the kitchen: Oh no. Mummy bought herself the Golden Bowl for her birthday. It is very precious. We must find it for her.

FHB: You'd better. She's very sad.

Mouse: But it's just a Golden Bowl. Why's she sad?

FHB: It doesn't matter. When a person is sad, they are sad. You must find the Golden Bowl.

Much scuffling and footsteps.

Custard: WE CAN'T FIND YOUR GOLDEN BOWL. WE'VE FINISHED TEA THOUGH. CAN WE HAVE PUDDING?

I sent them all upstairs to continue the quest for the Golden Bowl. I find it in Mouse's lunch box, in the flower bed. Obviously.

And the bread came out nicely too. So all's well that ends well.

I have bought myself a new book :Doodle Stitching by Aimee Ray

I love embroidery, but never seem to feel inspired and I'm not good enough at it to just start sewing with no plan, like my talented sister-in-law and mother-in-law. I have planned out Mouse's birthday card using some of the doodles in this book- I love it!So I'm settling down with a large glass of wine and my needle and threads. I might even get some sewing done before I fall aszzzzzzzzzzzzzz

x

No comments:

Post a Comment