Wednesday 13 October 2010

Anger management

A brief photo free blog today. I feel the need to unload.

Yesterday was parents evening. My beautiful Mouse came away with a glowing report. FHB did not do so well. Academically my son is doing splendidly, behaviourally he is - challenging, shall we say? I'd like to think he is just bored, but I do rather worry that I am breeding a sociopathic menace to society. Anyway, after a lot of discussion last night, during which we removed all his books from his bedroom 'because the reason I'm angry is because I'm tired, and I'm tired because I stay up all night reading', we decided on a couple of strategies for FHB.

1- A reward system. Obvious really, but easy to slip out of.
2- Making him write down 5 reasons why he is feeling angry. (This afternoon's reasons, following the Black Straw incident, were: I am tired. I read too much. I never sleep. I don't like sleep. I always read. Hmmmm).
3- Sending him to school with a pocket dinosaur. When he is angry he has to tell the pocket dinosaur all about it before being nasty to anyone. It seemed to work.

I am feeling very gloomy about it all, and trying very hard to put a positive spin on this.

Custard also took a pocket toy- a dinosaur, to talk to when he gets sad because I have left him. (Evil parent that I am).

Miss T has fallen head first off the kitchen table. But in a positive discovery, she can now say 'cheese', 'go away', 'it hurts' and 'arghhhh Mummy, come'.

Ah well, tomorrow's another day. Just got to get through swimming lessons...

x

No comments:

Post a Comment