Tuesday 23 November 2010

Captain Custard

My smallest boy is a funny little sausage. He is three, but thinks he is six, like his brother. He is a Big Boy too, solid and square without an ounce of fat on him. He has bright blond hair that curls over his ears and when Toot cuts it neither of us can bare to chop them off.

Custard is a noisy boy . His emotions are right there at the front at all times. If he is happy then the world smiles with him, if he is upset, angry, excited, in pain, then he is Vocal about it. He is a dear dear boy. He loves us all, worships his brother and wants cuddles and kisses from W and I whenever possible; He needs to be overtly loved.

Custard's main interest is movies. He loves films. Watches films avidly. Is quite discerning about what he likes and does not like, and makes quite surprising choices. We probably let Custard watch things that are a bit too old for him. The paradox here, I suppose, is that our kids are not allowed to watch Power Rangers and Ben 10, but they do watch Star Wars and Narnia. It makes sense to us and our life (and you know, Star Wars was the first thing I saw at the cinema, ever).

Custard's current films of choice are Narnia: Prince Caspian, Star Wars: Attack of the Clones and Wallace and Gromit and the Were-Rabbit. A re-enactment of the film will inevitably follow a watching. His idol of the moment is High King Peter from Narnia. Custard will appear dressed as a knight, wielding a fabricated sword (we confiscated all the toy ones) and demanding Turkish Delight. He had Toot cut his hair so he could part it like Peter's.

But Peter faces a new challenge. At the weekend we sat and watched the first Harry Potter with them. (Fear not, we warned them when the scary bits were about to happen and they all hid, Custard behind a cushion, FHB and Mouse under my wings). Custard LOVED the film and appeared in the Harry Potter robe shortly after the film finished. On the way to school the next day he says to me, very thoughtfully that 'King Peter is good, but Ron Squeezly from Harry Pottimer is much cooler.'

I chuckle to myself and wonder if I should ask Toot to start practising Ron Weasly hair.

The big thing about my smallest boy is that he is Properly Funny. He knows just the right moment to make a joke, or a silly noise, and he does things that make me roar. Today I have had a ho-down in the kitchen with him to Cotton-Eye Joe. When I returned several songs later he was doing a ho-down to some greasy bassy Metallica. He then treated me to a blast of 'a bottle of rum to fill my tum and that's the life for me', complete with pirate-y drunk actions. As I type he is channelling his inner Troy Bolton and leaping around to High School Musical.

I do love this little boy who makes us all laugh.

x

Am on the case with the photos. Next time...!

No comments:

Post a Comment