Thursday 3 February 2011

In which I experience another grim Wednesday...

...which is happily followed by a more pleasant Thursday.

Yesterday I was going to write a post saying Gosh what a lovely day we are having here, all is well in the world. But then...[insert screeching brakes noise here]...the school run. Forty minutes to walk 600 metres; two small boys being truly hateful; one small boy quivering with rage; the smaller boy shouting until he was purple that 'Mummy, you are a big fat idiot' (nothing unusual there); a contretemps in the co-op over who gets to Carry The Basket; a fairly loud discussion about why I was not prepared to buy chocolate...and then...SWIMMING.

My regular Wednesday personal hell, made even more enjoyable yesterday by the fact that someone Small-but-old-enough-to-know-better chose not to use the toilet when advised to at home, but instead decided to wee himself in the car, meaning that I had to sit next to a small, smelly, slightly steaming nearly-four year old in the spectators gallery for half an hour. Yuck.

Then Miss T chose to throw the mother of all tantrums. Twenty minutes of full-blast two year old rage. She went puce. I had to strap her into one of the handily provided baby seats in the changing rooms to prevent her clawing my face.

When we get home I discover that one FHB has been hiding books under his mattress in order to continue reading late into the night. This despite us having removed all the books from his bedroom in order for him to get some sleep. A discussion ensued. FHB sobbed. I pointed out that really, nobody can help him if he is going to steal his sister's books in order to stay up late. 'Your body needs sleep,' says I, 'if you don't sleep, you get grumpy and angry and rude. And I can't help you if I know it's because you WON'T GO TO SLEEP.'

FHB wrote me a note to say sorry:



To translate: Me being an idiot. Quite.

Mouse remained very good and quite smug throughout the afternoon's proceedings.

Anyway- I managed to clean the house yesterday, top to bottom, and I feel like I have cleared my mind too. I do get very bogged down when the house is filthy. Oh, and it really was filthy. Embarrassingly so. When I cleaned the kitchen I couldn't bring myself to take down the labels on the cupboards. FHB and Mouse made them the other day. I love the way Papa (on the 'plats' cupboard) is saying 'Disco!'



 So today has been a much better day. Everyone is being pleasant (so far- it is only 11am), I have no jobs to do- Yay! I have nearly finished my first sleeve (despite Someone removing and hiding my hook. Luckily I have a spare stash); I have been out with Miss T so she can spend her birthday money: a t-shirt and a small knickerless Chelsea doll with a 'CAT! MAM, LOOK! A CAT! EEEOW!' She is happily nesting on the sofa (having already lost the cat) and I am enjoying a vanilla latte.

Simple pleasures...x

No comments:

Post a Comment